Sunday 5 April 2015

Carrot Cupcakes For Easter

The Easter Bunny's Carrot Cupcakes! | Cate Renée
The Easter Bunny's Carrot Cupcakes! | Cate Renée

When I began planning my posts for the Easter long weekend, I knew I wanted to do something "arty-farty" with food, and then this little idea popped into my head, and my vision was too cute not to attempt it. I made a bunch of cupcakes from a carrot cake recipe I had stashed away, and some plain old cream cheese icing to lather on top. As for the decorative part, I remembered an old recipe I once made with decorative "carrots" for the topping, which consisted of dried apricots and green Allen's Snakes cut into carrot stems. I think these are super neat for Easter, and perfect for an afternoon picnic in the park.

INGREDIENTS
250g spreadable cream cheese
3 eggs
2 carrots
1 cup self-raising flour
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup icing sugar
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup golden syrup
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp vanilla essence

METHOD
Preheat oven to 180°C (fan-forced) and line a cupcake tray with patty pan tins. Peel and grate carrots and leave to the side in a bowl. In a separate bowl mix the brown sugar, oil, golden syrup, eggs, and vanilla essence to a bowl and beat until combined, then add the flours, bicarbonate soda, and cinnamon, blending it altogether. Stir in the grated carrot before adding mixture to cupcake tray. Bake for 20 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean, and set aside to cool. For the icing add all ingredients to a bowl and mix until well combined, and resembles consistency of icing. Then spread a generous amount on top of the cupcakes. Add a splash of milk if the mixture is a little dry.

DECORATION
Select the green snakes out of the packet, cut the heads off and cut to match the length of apricots. Add three small snips with scissors at the top to create a carrot stem look. Wrap the apricot around the green snakes and place the "carrot" in centre of the icing on the cupcake.

I hope everyone has a lovely Easter holiday!
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Cate Renée | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig